Planning a road trip this summer? Check out some of commonly asked questions and our answers.

Summertime is a great time to get out and explore the province, the country and to enjoy visiting our neighbours down south. There are many great places to drive and enjoy the countryside. However, you may be someone that doesn’t like to leave their house unoccupied while you’re away. If this applies to you, there may be a solution. There are things like home security camera internet monitoring systems that allow you to check on what’s going on at home while you’re out having fun, and they might be worth checking out if you’re going on your own road trip. A few reminders when travelling by vehicle and leaving your home unoccupied while you are away for short or long-term travel plans.

  1. Do I need additional car insurance when travelling out of province or to the United States?

In Canada, your existing vehicle insurance is covered if you travel within Canada and within the US. You should know if you drive further south outside of the US, such as Mexico, you will need to purchase insurance in Mexico as your Canadian insurance is not covered. Always speak to your Beneficial Insurance Broker about additional insurances when travelling.

It is also important to discuss the amount of coverage you currently have and will it be sufficient to where you are travelling. Make sure you have enough liability insurance and any additional coverage you may need. If you do not have enough liability insurance, and you are at fault, you will be personally responsible for any amount over and above your policy.

  1. Is my car insurance transferred over if I rent a vehicle while on vacation?

Your current third party liability coverage on your auto insurance policy will apply to your rental vehicle while in Canada or the US, however always check with your broker at Beneficial Insurance Solutions. Its always a great idea to review current coverage such as collision and comprehensive insurance to make sure you and your passengers are fully protected wherever you are travelling. For instance, if you have a lower valued vehicle than the vehicle you plan on renting, there may be a gap in coverage.

If you plan on driving far down south and in Mexico, you will need to purchase insurance and check with the rental vehicle insurance company to ensure you are properly covered.

You can purchase additional insurance for the rental vehicle from a rental vehicle company but always check with your broker to review these types of scenarios.


  1. If I plan to be away for an extended period of time, should I cancel my insurance on my vehicle?

There are several reasons not to cancel your insurance even if you your vehicle is not being driven. If your vehicle is parked in a garage and protected from elements, risk of theft and vandalism, you may need to discuss this with our broker to ensure it is protected. If your vehicle rolls into something you may be at risk for no collision coverage, however there is storage insurance for seasonal vehicles.

  1. What should I do for my home while I am out of town?

If you are going out of town for a few days or for a long period of time there are a few things you can do to reduce the risk of an insurance claim. If you’re not handy, ask to have a local plumber come by and to address any water issues, shut off any valves without interrupting your heating system. These are just a few things a professional can do to ensure your home is protected.


There are so many variables to consider with car insurance, contact Beneficial Insurance Solutions to make sure you are fully covered when travelling or going on a road trip.